Over the Christmas period why not wow your guests with this great recipe
Stuffed peppers isn’t a new idea but its one that is never used enough.
• 6 small-medium red peppers
For the filling:
• 200g (7oz) streaky bacon, chopped
• 1 onion, peeled and chopped
• Knob of butter
• 30g (1oz) breadcrumbs
• 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
• 45g (1½oz) finely grated Cheddar cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• To make the filling: Put the bacon, onion and butter in a frying pan and cook gently for about 10 mins, until onion is tender. Take off heat and stir in breadcrumbs, chopped egg, half the cheese and some seasoning.
• Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
• Cut tops off peppers and pull out the cores and seeds. Rinse them well. Slice a little off bottom of peppers, if necessary, so that they stand up straight.
• Spoon the filling into the peppers and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Stand them in a roasting tin, cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 mins.
• Remove the foil and cook for another 10 mins, to brown the tops. Serve hot with peas, or cold with salad
You can play about with the filling and add anything you like. A great tip is to buy the very small sweet peppers and make a great starter or snack. Either way this is a sure fire way to impress your friends and family over the Christmas period.