Reducing our consumption of meat is by far the best thing we can do for the environment and our health, but that does not mean we have to go sin hamburguesas. These black bean burgers are cheap, easy, and delicious, without the ballin 'price tag! Makes 4 patties, serve on toasted buns.
* 1 (14-16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/2 red bell pepper
* 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce or hot sauce
* 3/4 cup bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise / Veganaise
* 2-3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
* 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime / lemon juice
* 1 clove of garlic
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until it forms a thick paste (but some lumpiness adds texture).
3. In a food processor, add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, salt, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. Place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side. *
7. For chipotle mayo: In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Pulse until smooth and well blended.
* Or you can grill em 'too. Place patties on foam, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.