Here is a different salad you can serve that most everyone will enjoy … especially those who like beets. The first time I made this, I even surprised myself by how good this came out.
This beet salad with pecans uses a Chinese chili garlic sauce in the dressing. Do not let the Chinese chili garlic sauce in this salad fool you. This is not a Chinese salad, although it can pass for one. It is more of a French type of salad, so you can use it with many different food types.
By the way, you should be able to find the Chinese chili sauce in most supermarkets and for sure in Asian food stores. It is a very popular sauce.
If I remember correctly, I first made this salad with fried chicken (yum!) Being tired of plain old tomato, cucumber and lettuce salads, I was looking for something different and came up with this one. What a hit!
Give it a try. If you like beets, you will love this salad. You may even love it if you do not like beets.
– 2 cans red beets packed in water (or you can use fresh cooked, if you prefer)
1. If the beets are in vinegar, wash them. Cut the beats into 1/2 inch strips and place the beet sticks in a serving bowl.
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 1 tablespoon Chinese chili garlic sauce
– 1-1 / 2 teaspoon sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons canola oil
2. Combine the above ingredients well in a small bowl, then add the mixture to the beets in the serving bowl.
– 1 medium white onion, diced
– 1/2 cup pecan pieces
3. Add the above ingredients to the bowl with the beets and mix well.
– 8 Boston lettuce leaves, washed and spun dry
4. Place two Boston lettuce leaves on each of four plates and divide the beet mixture on top of each bed of lettuce leaves evenly.
Serve cold or at room temperature.
You can serve this salad with just about any type of food, but it does go particularly well with Chinese, French, and American food. I do not think it would work well with Mexican and Italian food, but, if that's what you like, go for it.