Another cheap and cheerful meal that is pretty quick to prepare is chilli. There are loads of variations on this recipe, but this one is really simple to follow, when my daughter was at university I think her and her pals overdosed on the stuff.
Chilli Con Carne
Serves: 4 people
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or vegetable oil if that is what you have handy.
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 lb 450g lamb mince, or whatever mince you prefer.
* 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon mild chilli powder (or according to taste)
* 1 red pepper, chopped
* Button mushrooms, roughly chopped as many as you like.
* 1 tablespoon tomato purée
* 1 can chopped tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon English mustard (optional)
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Boiled rice, to serve
* Soured cream, to serve (optional)
* Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
* Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the mince, chilli and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until the mince is nicely browned.
* Add the pepper and mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes more.
* Add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, mustard (if using it) and Worcestershire sauce.
* Fill the tomato can with boiling water and add this to the pan. Stir well and bringing to a simmer.
* Cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced down. Check and stir every ten minutes to ensure it does not stick.
* Serve with boiled white or brown rice and top each serving of chilli with a spoon of sour cream, if you are using it.
If you or any of your friends are vegetarian, it is a simple matter of using Soya mince instead of regular, club up buy a bottle of red wine and you are set for a great evening, with family or friends.
Another quick recipe and inexpensive to make is cauliflower curry, I know it does not sound too clever, but tempt those taste buds and give it a try you will not be disappointed.
1 whole medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced