The chilli gives these brownies a wonderful rich warmth, but you can just leave it out if you prefer
Ready in 1 hour 10 minutes
Price per slice 30p
100g cocoa powder
4 large free-range eggs
450g caster sugar
½tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour, sifted
1 level tbsp crushed dried chillies
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease a 4cm-deep rectangular tin, 28cm x 19cm, and line with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a small pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl until pale and foamy.
4. Stir in the cocoa mixture, flour and chillies. Turn into the tin and bake for 35 minutes or until the top is firm but the middle is soft.
5. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack. When cold, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.