Not only is this homemade chilli cheese recipe fun to make its delicious and very quick and easy.
- 1 litre full-cream milk (use lean milk for a low-fat version)
- white vinegar or lemon juice mixed with a little warm water.
- ½ cup warm water
- salt to taste
- chilli to taste or sauce.
- Set the milk up to boil.
- As the milk is readied, dissolve the citric acid/lemon juice in half a cup of warm water.
- When the milk comes to a boil, pour the acid-water/lemon juice-water mix into it.
- Reduce the heat and stir continuously until the milk is completely curdled.
- Remove from the heat when the separation of the curds and yellowish whey is complete.
- Strain the mixture through a clean muslin cloth.
- Hold it under running water for a minute and then press out the excess water.
I use white vinegar to make the milk curdle, it always amazes me watching milk separate. Just add a few teaspoons at a time until you see the milk curdle.
Once you have strained the mixture i always add a pinch of salt as i believe it adds to the taste of the cheese.
So now you have a creamy mixture, here is where the fun begins. I sometimes mix some hot chilli sauce into the cheese or you can add hot chilli powder. Once you have added your chosen heat, mould with your hands until it is firm then place in the fridge to harden slightly.
Then simply use and enjoy. If you have a cheese press or similar you can use that.
I find this cheese is great cut into chunks and added to salads.