You must begin changing your eating habits if you want to avoid fibrosis and cirrhosis (end-stage, advanced scarring of the liver). Do not be afraid if you have fatty liver – it’s not the end of your life!
By simply changing how you cook and eat, you will be able to reverse the effects of a lifetime of bad eating habits. Liver health begins with what we eat.
Below are some recipes to start changing your life:
Tofu & Broccoli Delight:
Ingredients: 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon chili sauce or chili oil, 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 US cup of meat chicken broth, ½ cup fresh scallions, ½ cup sliced mushrooms, 2 teaspoon sesame oil, 1/3 cup ginger dressing, ½ kilogram tofu (firm)
1. Marinate ½ kilogram of firm tofu in a non-reactive bowl using 1/3 cup of ginger dressing. Marinate the tofu for half an hour.
2. After half an hour, remove the firm tofu but do not throw away the marinade.
3. Pour 2 tsp. of sesame oil in a cast iron pan, medium high. Cook the sliced mushrooms and slice broccoli (you will need the florets only) by stir-frying the ingredients for six minutes or until tender.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients in the same bowl where the tofu was marinated.
5. Place the firm tofu in the pan, and pour the new mix over the firm tofu.
6. Simmer all of the ingredients, including the broccoli, for four minutes. Gently whisk the mix but be careful not to disturb the tofu too much.
7. Serve over a bowl of brown or white rice (limit serving size to ½ cup for one meal).
Homemade Salmon Patties:
Ingredients: 1/3 cup of sliced, fresh scallions, 5 lettuce leaves, 1/3 cup of sliced, fresh cilantro, 1 piece egg, ½ kilogram of fresh salmon (sans skin and sliced into medium-sized chunks), 1 teaspoon curry paste, 1 piece bell pepper (sliced into thin strips), 2 cloves of garlic (minced finely), 1 small onion (sliced finely)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, equating 204 degrees Celsius.
2. Combine the sliced onion, minced garlic, slice bell pepper and curry paste in a food processor. Blend until all of the ingredients have mixed smoothly.
3. When the first set of ingredients have been combined nicely in the food processor, add the sliced salmon, whole egg and sliced cilantro next. Process the next set of ingredients until a fine consistency is achieved.
4. Use a spatula and a cup to obtain half-cup portions of the patty mix. Place on a baking tray.
5. Bake the patties for a quarter of an hour.
6. Place each patty on a lettuce leaf before serving. It may be served with whole wheat buns.