Kids just love Macaroni and Cheese and it's a perfect meal to hide mashed veges in. There's tons of different Macaroni and Cheese recipes available online but I've decided to share one of my favorites with you to try. This is an excellent recipe, the vegetables are COMPLETELY undetectable, even by the fussiest of kids. The benefits of this recipe are:
- It's more healthy than the average Mac'n'cheese recipe
- It works out cheaper because you only use half the amount of cheese with the same creaminess.
- It tastes better than regular Macaroni and Cheese.
Here's the recipe:
- 16 oz of macaroni
- 2 cups whole cream milk
- 4 Tablespoons of butter or Olive oil based spread for a healthier option.
- 4 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli sauce (be careful with this one)
- 1 cup pumpkin or squash. (Pureed) – Can be frozen.
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (Use a Rotary Cheese Grater)
- 1 cup of grated colby cheese
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons of melted butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Use a 13 X 9 pan and lightly grease it
- Boil the macaroni to the specifications on the packet, then drain
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 1 minute on 70% power until warm
- Heat the butter in a pot or pan on medium until melted. Do this gently
- Whisk the flour in and stir for 1 min
- Add the milk, continue to stir until thickened. Do this for 4 minutes
- Mix in the squash until completely mixed in
- Add all the cheese and mix until melted in properly
- Add macaroni and stir for 1 minute
- Mix Breadcrumbs with Butter, then sprinkle over the top
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until golden brown
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my kids did. A real crowd pleaser!